September 17, 2006

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Warning: Watch the movie first. I will spoil parts of it.

Tonight I watched one of my favorite movies, the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (see IMDB). This movie always has, and always will, remind me of my best friend. I'm not sure why, since the two are not connected in anyway. We never watched the movie together, and I'm not sure we ever talked about it. It also makes me sad. Like a lonely sad. But it is very rarely a bad sad (you can tell I've seen it many times). It kinda makes me nostalgic sad, but not for the past. It's more for the future. It's a mixture of everything good that the movie reminds me of, added to the hopeful oportunities of the future. Especially the part towards the end where they decide to start over and try again. It's when Clementine says she will get bored of Joel and he will get fed up with her impulsiveness, and he just says "OK". Like even if it ends bad, and they are miserable again, it will be worth it. That is what true love is about. I've seen friends do that, and get back together as if nothing happened. It's as if they literally cannot stay apart. There is a deep spiritual attraction that they have for eachtother that continually brings them back together. I love that whole idea. I hope my wife understands this movie, because it very well could be my favorite movie.

check out the music video for the song "Everyboy's Gotta Learn Sometime" covered by Beck fot the movie. Good song, odd video.




How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.


- Alexander Pope's "Eloisa to Abelard"



.

No comments:

Post a Comment