November 3, 2006

The Mountain Goats

This little band is a duo of acoustic guitars and joyful lyrics about depressing thoughts. And at least one of them is from here in Ames! Purevolume has them labeled under the Acoustic/World/Indie genres, but I would also add folk to that. I'm not a huge fan of all of their music, but the songs that I do like are absolutely amazing. My two favorites are No Children and Old College Try. I'm going to post the No Children lyrics, because they are some of my favorite lyrics I have ever read. When you read the lyrics, you realize how depressing the lyrics are. But I heard the song first, and it took me a little while to realize how bad they are because the way it is sung is so joyous. It's the contrast between the dark lyrics and the happy vocals that attracted me so much to it. Enjoy them, and check out the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment