November 23, 2006

Today was the most interesting Thanksgiving I have ever had. Last night I saw Casino Royal on a 3-story screen and got to sleep around 2:30AM. I awoke this morning five hours later to the sound of my little brother bursting into my room yelling, "Adam had a seizure!" In my half-asleep state I barely understood what he was saying. I don't function well after being woken up early. Before I was out of bed and dressed I heard more people shouting "the ambulance is here" from somewhere else in the house. Now, Adam hasn't had a seizure in almost ten years, and he has been off medication for it for 4 or 5 years. He's been just fine too. Luckily, my step mom went into his room to get something out the closet this morning while he was still "sleeping". She saw that he had propped himself up on his elbows but was still staring at his pillow. Thinking she had woke him up, she told him that he could go back to sleep. For some reason this triggered him and the seizure started. My little brother was sleeping on the other side of the room and he was obviously awoken to her screaming for my father. Not knowing what to do, he eventually got up stairs and told my father to go down. He's still pretty spooked, and can't sleep. That might explain why he burst into my room...

I didn't get to see my brother, nor did I want to, until he got back from the hospital. I couldn't have gotten into the bedroom anyway, since we had a whole slew of people on top of the usual 4-8 people that live here. I believe there were four or five firefighters (one being my step brother), a police man, and two paramedics all trying to get into that room where my father, step mom and Adam already were. Even if I wanted to I wouldn't have been able to see Adam except when they were carrying him out the door on a body board. But I have a soft spot for my brother and his disabilities, so I made sure I couldn't see him when they carried him out. Wuss? Naw, I had things I needed to do before I could relax.

Through all of this, my job was to call my mother and inform her of what was going on. My parents are divorced, and my mother's full time job is taking care of Adam. Adam is more work than your average kid, but my mother makes sure that everything is taken care of. This is why it is vital she knows what is going on. Obviously, my father could take care of things, but she has been doing it for so long that it's easier for him, and most people, to stay out of the way.

I left my cell phone charger in Ames, so my phone has been dead all week. Luckily, I found my cousin has the same phone, and I charged it. Luckily again, I made sure to not use it much. This morning I called my mother's house and cell phone with no luck. But I did feel much safer as I followed the ambulance out the drive way on my way to warn my mother. I had it just in case, and my dad did call it while he was down at the hospital. I drove over to my mothers in silence. I rarely drive with out the radio or my iPod, unless I am thinking hard about something. Today was no different. My head was racing, and for some reason I couldn't seem to warm up. I wondered what I would do if something happened to him. I knew I wouldn't be finishing my semester. Or at least I wouldn't be returning for the entire 3 weeks.

Anyway, I'm tried. Sorry to crap out on this but it's been a long day. Adam is fine, and back home. He actually made it to thanksgiving dinner/lunch. It was the shortest trip to the hospital yet. He actually came to in the ambulance, which I believe is a first. Besides checking him out and putting him back on medication, they didn't do much as far as I can tell. He came home as if nothing had happened. In that sense he is the lucky one in all of this. For all he knows, he falls asleep at night (or passes out during the day) and wakes up in a hospital where he gets to watch TV and play video games all day. The hospital doesn't scare him, although the rest of us hate the idea of being there again. Luckily everything turned out alright this time. He and I and my family are headed to my grandparent's house tomorrow for thanksgiving and Christmas (my grandparents drive south for the winter).

He's been excited all week. :)

1 comment: