January 10, 2007

Anberlin

I've been putting off writing about this band for a few months. When I started this blog, I decided that I would write about all the bands that I loved already, and then about new bands. This would force me to go out and find more great bands after I had written about all my old favorites. But this band is a little different. Anberlin is a band that immediately jumped to into my favorites and has never left. They are a great band, so I wanted to give them the best article I could.

A year ago my friend and now roommate gave me some Christian rock music. I hadn't listened to Xian in years, since middle school I think. And back then Christian had a stigma to it. It still does, to some people. But I don't believe that Christian music has to mean "crappy campfire/worship songs". Now it just means the band is on a Xian label and has strong undertones. Very few of the Xian bands I listen to mention God directly. I rarely hear the words praise, pray, Jesus or sin. I love it. These bands rock. I'm sure you've all heard some of these Xian bands (wiki) that have made it into the mainstream: Carrie Underwood, Aly & AJ, Relient K, P.O.D., Switchfoot, the Fold, Blindside, Emery, Mae, the Elms, Mat Kearney, mewithoutyou, MxPx, the Afters, Flyleaf, Jars of Clay, Pedro the Lion, Lifehouse, The Classic Crime, Slickshoes, Sixpence None the Richer, Showbread, Mace (rap), Sufjan Stevens, Supertones, Third Day, Mutemath, Underoath, Waking Ashland. The band Rascal Flatts and P.Diddy both have a Christian album and the Fray is played on Christian radio all the time.

-----

Anberlin is a alternative, Christian rock band formed in 2002. The band was actually named after the lead singer's name for his future daughter (wiki). The band released their debut album Blueprints for the Black Market just one year after forming the band. Since then they have expanded their fan base and released their second album, which I have, Never Take Friendship Personal.

That album is one of my favorites ever. At just under 40 minutes, the CD delivers on every song. But I'm sure it's a lot easier to do that when you have five great musicians. Being a one myself, I can tell you the drummer for Anberlin is really good. Every beat is solid, driving and ever-changing. Many of the songs have distortion-driven guitar just below a fast moving lead guitar riff. The vocals are also great, with catchy lyrics with some depth to them.

Their first single A Day Late is about a guy who used to love a girl, but she did not return that love. But now that he has moved on, she wants him. "Now we both have separate lives and lovers (and lovers)/insignificantly enough we both have significant others". In the chorus he sings "we could have been lovers, but at least you are still my daily friend". You can download an acoustic version of the song on the band's Purevolume account. I would suggest you do so, because it's one of the best acoustic versions of a song I've heard in a long long time.

A Day Late Acoustic [Live]

Paperthin Hymn, their other single, also deals with unrequited love but this time it's lost love. I'm not sure if the main character is actually talking to/about God, or if this is another love song for a girl. I like to think the latter. He screams "I thought you said forever/Over and over". This song actually made it to #38 on the US Modern Rock charts (wiki), which is really good for a Christian band.

Paperthin Hymn

Check this band out. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like them.

1 comment:

  1. Nimit says "they are not good", but i beg the differ.
    And the rapper is Mase not Mace. As for third day, they are pretty blatant nothing subtle about them.

    ReplyDelete