February 2, 2007

Keith Urban

Country music is not my favorite. I try to listen to all types of music, but country never really caught my attention as anything special. As a drummer, it's pretty boring. But after learning the guitar and having a girlfriend that pretty much only listened to country I started to appreciate it more. I know understand the pride behind it. Not the "I'm a redneck, hear me roar" part, but the part about taking pride in who you are and where you came from. The part of loving your country, God, and your family. Good down-home values that everyone should have. In reality, not taking sh*t from anyone is in all kinds of music, especially rock, but country just says it different. It's there. You just have to look for it.

So along with my new-found respect for country music, a few artists came along. If any of you actually listen to country, more than me, you will notice that I primarily listen to pop/radio country. There are two reasons for that. One, that's what my ex listened to. Two, my parents listen to old-school country, and I get enough of it when I got home. Anyway, I learned about such artists as Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Big & Rich, Brad Paisley, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Rascal Flatts, Shooter Jennings, and Toby Keith(ick). My favorite, by far, is Keith Urban.

Keith Urban is a country/rock solo artist. He specializes in guitar, both acoustic and electric. If you follow Hollywood, he just married Nicole Kidman not too long ago. Keith is actually from New Zealand (his wife Australia). At the young age of 15 he quit school and started touring. He had a big hit on the Australian country charts before he came to the United States in 1992. Since then he has won some 44 awards including multiple CMA Male Vocalist of the Year Awards, and a few "Top Sexiest Men" awards. He also has 11 albums/singles to go either Gold or Platinum (wiki). Let's just say he'll be around for a while. His latest album Love, Pain and the whole crazy thing is already platinum, and cranking out singles.

The thing that attracted me to Keith at first was his lyrics. They tend to follow the 'I miss/love/want you' theme, which I enjoy. Beyond that, his guitar playing is more rock than most country artists. One of my favorites is Making Memories of Us where he sings of how he wants to be the best man he can for his girl.

And I'm gonna love you like nobody loves you
And I'll earn your trust making memories of us
I think it's a very romantic song, if you like that kind of thing. Another good one is You'll Think of Me. It's about a break up, and how the girl will undoubtedly continue to think of him.
I got the chance see Keith Urban live a year and a half ago at the Iowa State fair. Let me tell you, as good as he at acoustic guitar on his albums, he is ten times better at the electric live. Every other song had a guitar solo, and all of them were good. He had a lot of energy, running all over the stage while he played. If you get the chance, see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment