October 28, 2007

USA: Unkind Self-Serving A-Holes?

Now, I don't want to get into racism/sexism etc. in my blog, but I do think that Bill Cosby has a very good point. But why stop at just black people? I see things like this in every subculture, race, nationality and religion in America. Yes, some more than others, but that's not the point.

I've been noticing two things in the past few years. In my field (engineering), students need to go to more schooling more often than not. It used to be that not having a college degree was okay. Now it feels as though you might as well be on welfare if you didn't go to college, much less pass high school. On the other hand, I've been noticing more stupid people than I thought existed. I know that I'm not the most traveled person and that I lived a fairly sheltered life when I was young, but I thought that more people were smart. How did America become a super-power when we are still way behind other countries on things like tolerance. I notice a huge difference in racism between where I grew up and where I go to college. This doesn't make sense to me. I went to a 99% white high school, where at least half of the students came from a upper class family. We had students wrapping $60,000 cars around trees and getting a new one the next week. Yet, when I went to college, a place that should be more open to differences, I learned stereotypes that I didn't know even existed. I've heard more racist things come out of people's mouthes in college than I have anywhere else.

Sorry that turned into a rant. My poorly shown point is that I see the classes in America separating. I see the wealthy becoming more so, and the poor getting stuck where they are. This is not how America should be. Everyone should get a high school diploma. Everyone should at least tolorate each other. Otherwise, why would I want to live in the "greatest country in the world"? Most of the time I don't think I do.

3 comments:

  1. i see that you've finally joined the "Write you blog like a class paper" Society. John, Nim, and I welcome you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I would say that yours are much better than mine. I basically started with a sentence and just ranted from there.

    I'm glad to see that you are visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post Andrew. I find it wonderful that Bill Cosby has taken a strong stance against the ills of society, in particular, in lower class African American culture. And if you think Iowa State had issues, wait until you experience life in the South, or the East. I thought I knew racism when I visited the South, but places like New York City and Boston really take the cake. It's good to see your blog tackle important issues like this. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete