May 25, 2008

Pandora - Internet Radio

A year ago I was introduced to a music website called Pandora. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I've heard great things about it over the last few months. So I finally tried it, and I was pleasantly surprised.

At it's core Pandora is free internet radio. The great part is that it automatically changes depending on which songs you "thumb up" (like it) or "thumb down" (don't like it). How does this work? It's actually brilliant. Each song has a few of the 400 attributes Pandora uses, and when you thumb up a song, it looks for more songs that have those same attributes. So the more you listen and vote, the better the station.

The part that I like about Pandora the most is that each station is like a dynamic playlist of hundreds of songs. I find myself skipping songs much less when I'm listening to Pandora then when I listen to my iPod. When I want to listen to songs that have electronic influences, Pandora plays Frou Frou, PlayRadioPlay! and The Postal Service. When I want alt. rock with electric guitar, Pandora plays Mae, Anberlin and Jimmy Eat World. This means I just tell it when I am in the mood for, and Pandora takes care of the rest. I get to hear some of the songs I know and love, as well as a bunch that I didn't know, but are similar to bands I already listen to.

1 comment:

  1. i use to listen to pandora years ago, until it got worse in quality.

    ReplyDelete